Monday, July 19, 2010

Poptart Goodness

Ok, so I finally got around to making those homemade poptarts! Keith and Colin went up to Keith's mom's for lunch yesterday, so I had the house to myself. This was, supposedly, to allow me some time to pack and get things ready for the trip, but I chose to use the quiet time to bake instead! Hurray for me! SO, with no further ado, here are the pictures:

These are the three fillings I used. I used mini chocolate chips, strawberry jam, and cinnamon sugar. Yum, yum.  You don't get to see a picture of the before dough, because I forgot to take one.


Here is a picture of the dough all rolled out and cut and the filling in place. I think they look delicious already.


This picture shows what they looked like right before I put them in the oven. I was afraid the filling would leak out of the holes I punched in the top of each one, but they did fine!


The last two pictures show the final product. The dough made 10 poptarts for me and I used the scraps to make rolly-poly-zips with a twist. Usually for the rolly-poly-zips, I just put cinnamon sugar on the inside, but since I had leftover chocolate chips too, I thought, what the heck, I throw those in too! (Btw, rolly-pily-zips are just made from leftover dough. You smoosh all the dough pieces back together, roll it out again, butter the dough, sprinkle cinnamon sugar, and roll it up and cut it into pieces. Its done in a snap, oh wait, in a zip!)



Keith taste-tested the poptarts for me. Here is his honest reaction: "Man, my pop-tarts are delicious!!!! Thank you so much for making them for me. I had a chocolate one and a cinnamon one. They were soooo good." I think that says it all!

Oh, here is a link to the recipe from smittenkitchen.com but, fyi, the dough is REALLY sticky and hard to work with (although it tastes really good after it is cooked) so next time I'd probably use Martha Stewart's pie dough recipe instead. Her recipe is still easy and delicious, but also much easier to roll out and work with.

On another note, my stitches got taken out yesterday by my brother-in-law Jason. He is in school for medical assisting and did a great job. Didn't hurt a bit!

Ok, seriously, I have to go pack, I'm leaving on a jet plane with a one-year-old tomorrow. Organization is required!

5 comments:

  1. Good luck on your trip!! The tarts look great :9

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,
    They do look yummy!! Especially the zip-bits. Have fun on your trip, don't stress and just enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look fabulous! And I'm impressed with your ingenious addition to our old family recipe for roly-poly-zips! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm, I'm eating them right now. Makes me miss you even more!

    ReplyDelete