Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sweet Treats

Yesterday was the official Teacher Appreciation Day and I had a surprisingly, in light of previous events, good day. My mom started the day off right by bringing me Starbucks, and a grande no less! She also brought me some beautiful red roses and a box of cupcake truffles, which were picked out by my dad, so it was a super nice morning. My students were all very good for me yesterday also. They are devastated by the news and have started a petition and a facebook page to "Save Mrs. Mudd". In spite of their efforts, I am pretty sure it will have no effect on the administration. Its nice to know they care though.

Then, during 5th period, my wonderful husband stopped by and brought me flowers, daisies and carnations in the cutest vase, and a BIG sugar cookie and card. My students went crazy, telling me how sweet that was, and wanted to read the card and all told me how much they appreciated me. It was nice. Then, after work, Keith took me to Kohls and bought me some new clothes (some cute jean capris and dress shirts for work) for Teacher Appreciation/Mother's Day/Birthday celebration. It was fun!

On top of that, I made a super fantabulous dinner last night! We had turkey burgers and parmesean crusted steak fries. Yum, yum. I'll include the recipe, in case anyone is interested in trying them. They were so so so so good.

Turkey Burgers:
1 pound ground turkey (I didn't get the lean kind because it has less fat and the burgers aren't as juicy)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup guyere cheese (or mozzarella works well too)
1 clove of garlic minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive Oil for the pan

Mix the turkey, bread crumbs, dijon mustard, cheese, garlic, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Mix just until combined. Over mixing will cause the turkey to dry out and the burgers to fall apart. Form into 4 quarter pound patties, making a small indentation in the center of the burgers so that they will stay flat when cooking, instead of puffing up in the middle. Heat olive oil in your skillet over medium heat. Cook burgers in olive oil over medium heat about 5 minutes per side or until burger is cooked through. These burgers, because they are poltry must be cooked until well-done.

Serve on bun with mayonnaise, tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, or any other toppings that you like. I do not prefer ketchup on these but Keith likes mustard.


Parmesan Crusted Steak Fries:

4 baking potatoes
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Parmesan Cheese


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wash and cut the potatoes into long wedges. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and peper, and toss to coat completely. Spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through and crispy!


Enjoy! :)

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good day Honey. Mmmmm, I think I want some of those Parmesan Crusted Potato leftovers tonight. That dinner WAS super fantabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I'm so glad you had such a great day on Tuesday! Keith is so good to you! Your new clothes are beautiful. That is so cute how the kids reacted to his loving overtures! It is actually so good for them to see this kind of devotion from your husband (and maybe from your Mom, too?!) It gives me much pleasure to know how much your students love and respect you. Dinner sounded yummy - I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete