Thursday, May 20, 2010

Summer Break and Baking

I cannot tell you how excited I am for this school year to be over. It has been a pretty good year and I've had a pretty good bunch of students, but it is definitely time for a break. I am looking forward to sleeping in till, wait for it, 8:30!! (I know it doesn't sound late, but compared to 6 am, 8:30 am is a little miracle.) I am looking forward to spending all day with my son, going to the park and the pool. And, I am looking forward to time for baking.

I love to bake. I know it is probably not that great for my hips, but it really relaxes me to try out new recipes, to peruse recipe books and look for things that either sound yummy or interesting or that I've never made before. I've been reading this blog "The Smitten Kitchen" and she really inspires me with her recipes, photographs, and the creative twists that she puts on the things she bakes to give them her own flair. I am jealous of people who get to stay home with their babies and pursue hobbies that they love. I also want to try take some really nice pictures of the things I make.

Like this: (Doesn't it look good??)



Here are a few of the things I want to attempt making this summer:
1. Homemade poptarts - my husband loves the store bought kind and I think they are gross, but then I saw a recipe for homemade ones that actually looked appetizing. I thought I'd make them for him. Aren't I a good wifey?
2. Lemon bread - I have a weakness for anything sweet, lemony, and ewwey gooey. This recipe looked awesome.
3. Beef Bourguignon - Julia Child's recipe. I got the recipe book for Christmas and want to try out some of the recipes. This one looked especially good in the movie Julie and Julia.
4. Something chocolately delicious - I haven't decided on this recipe yet, so if anyone has any suggestions for the best chocolately thing they've ever eaten, feel free to send it my way.
5. More varietys of homemade baby foods for Colin - I got a pretty neat book, but haven't had the energy after work to actually make him much of it. I know he likes the veggies that I've made but I want to try some other things too.

Ok, I guess that concludes my list. If anyone else wants to send me some other things to try out, I'd be glad to take suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment