Sunday, April 25, 2010

Colin's Night Out

Last night was Colin's first time spending the night away from home without Mommy and Daddy. He spent the night at Grandma's house so that Keith and I could have a relaxing night. I had book club and Keith was looking forward to a night of video games and then hanging out with me later. I never thought that I'd be the kind of mom that would get all emotional and protective when my baby was away from me, but it was really really hard to let him go. When Keith first put him in my mom's car, he was happy and laughing at Keith, who was playing peek-a-boo with him, but as the car pulled away, his face looked so confused, like he was wondering why we weren't in the car with him. I almost wanted to stop mom and take him out of the car!

But, I let him go and went to book club. I actually had a really nice time and was happy when mom called me before she was going to put Colin to bed. I got to tell him goodnight and could hear him babbling and breathing into the phone. When I got home from book club, Keith and I went and got some dinner at Cabo's and had a nice time eating out, just the two of us. It didn't really hit me how much I missed him until we got home and I went into Colin's room and he wasn't there. I kept asking Keith things like: What if he can't go to sleep? What if he wakes up and has a bad dream? What if he gets scared? I missed rocking him to sleep and kissing him goodnight.

I had a really hard time sleeping last night too. Not only because of Colin being gone, but also because last night was my first night without having any pain medication from my back, which I had been on for nearly two months. I think I had developed a bit of an addiction. I was all jumpy and burning hot. I could not sleep all night.

I was so glad when I got to church and my mom pulled up. Colin was all smiles, and Grandma and Grandpa said that he had been such a good boy. In fact, he had slept so well that Grandpa had to go in and wake him up at 9:30 am. Wow! I guess Colin was more ready for sleepovers than Mommy!

2 comments:

  1. Those pain meds are something else. I had Lortab after surgery once and I had to stop taking it after a couple days because I felt like a junkie. The withdrawal was horrible - I didn't have any actual PAIN per se, but all my nerves were on high alert and I was hypersensitive and everything was just too much - light too bright, noise too loud, touch too sensitive, etc. yada yada. I had some pretty wicked nightmares on the pain meds and that was what finally did it for me. I was so fortunate to be able to get off them when I did. I would think after taking some for a couple months you'd have to step-down and wean off them. Hope you're feeling better soon and able to relax again. I bet you're happy to have your little man back. Kaylee has never been on an overnight at Nana's by herself yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be super hard for me too. It's funny how we want some free time, but when we get it we just want our babies.

    ReplyDelete